Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box upgrade ?

I should note that the two cars I have done this on are a 1967 Cutlass and a 1970 GTO. I've mentioned before that the JGC steering gear box is the best mod I have done to my 67 Cutlass. (even better than upgrading to 1972 A body front discs) It is a night and day difference. I went from a car that steered like "Toonces the Driving Cat" was behind the wheel to a car that felt like my 87 IROC-Z. It went from around 4 turns lock to lock to about 2 1/2 turns. I haven't tried it in the 76 442,YET, but plan to do the swap.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering Boxes from 1993-1997 are a direct bolt in to GM A-Body cars as stated in magazines and the web.

Is this true on our cars 73-77?
    who here has completed this?

Do you need to make special hoses with metric fittings?
    rag joint change?

Any info is greatly appreciated- I am to this point on my bare frame and would rather go this route than stock. The last time I was at the yard I was told $35 for a used unit. My brother n law is a parts manager at a Chrysler dealership, if I am 100% positive it will work with no issues going to check on a new unit.

thanks
    Larry

Larry my posts 5 and 7 of the coil spring thread referenced in post 2 of this thread should answer some questions, except I still don't know if it will work but think it will in 73-77 cars but I haven't tried it.
    So 2014 that's still where I'm at, except I have replaced my leaky pump but haven't tried the JGC box on the 76 442. The 70 GTO swap came out great. Putting a 3:55 posi rear in the 67 this week.
    You gonna be the Guinea pig Larry?

Quote Originally Posted by texxas8902 View Post
    Larry my posts 5 and 7 of the coil spring thread referenced in post 2 of this thread should answer some questions, except I still don't know if it will work but think it will in 73-77 cars but I haven't tried it.
    So 2014 that's still where I'm at, except I have replaced my leaky pump but haven't tried the JGC box on the 76 442. The 70 GTO swap came out great. Putting a 3:55 posi rear in the 67 this week.
    You gonna be the Guinea pig Larry?
    Guinea pig probably not- been looking at the Lares 974 direct replacement today, comes with the rag joint for $162.79 on Rock Auto. I know its more $$ than a yard box but comes with a lifetime warranty, no risk of buying a worn out box and can use the stock hoses- sounds like a win to me. there is a $50 core charge not sure how it is to return a core- but I am sure I can figure it out.

Going to research for a few more days before I pull the trigger

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by larry b View Post
    Guinea pig probably not- been looking at the Lares 974 direct replacement today, comes with the rag joint for $162.79 on Rock Auto. I know its more $$ than a yard box but comes with a lifetime warranty, no risk of buying a worn out box and can use the stock hoses- sounds like a win to me. there is a $50 core charge not sure how it is to return a core- but I am sure I can figure it out.

Going to research for a few more days before I pull the trigger

Larry
    I suggest buying a new one and not taking any chances on used worn out steering boxes from the jy. I had too many used leaky ones in the past. I bought a rebuilt quick ratio box on ebay ($189)for my 77. (auction 120838479470 remanufactured quick ratio power steering box). I went from 4 turns lock to lock to just over 2.5 turns lock to lock.They give you a prepaid return shipping label to send your core back to them.

Just ordered the Lares 974 steering box

What is the difference in steering boxes from 76 to 77?

Rock auto and OPG show different part #s for 77 than 76.

Hose fittings? Rag joint shaft?