Thread: kick down

kick down

Hi
    I have a 73 cutlass supreme, having a problem with the kickdown cable behind the gas pedal. any one else had an issue with this seems to keep slipping out? Thx Brian

It is a simple switch. You can adjust it by the bolt up and down at the point you want it to kick down. First I would make sure with a test light that it works. Check both side when it is in normal position , youi should only have 12 volt on one side . Then push up and test that it light up 12 volt at WOT. If it lights up in both postions normal the switch is bad or if it doesnt light up when WOT.
    Hope this helps....
    Thanks
    Joe Berenato
    HOCA # 1300C
    OCA # 040318

H/O # 1 Rusty's Restoration page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3046988
    H/O # 2 W46 "The Pope" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815720/1

Brian - Is there any way you can post a pic ? If it's what I think, there is a small grommet like piece that holds the cable on the pedal.

Joe - Great advise as usual but thats for a t-400 with a switch where Brian mentions a cable and thats for a t-350. I don't mean any dissrespect. Just pointing that out in case someone needs help with that in the future.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by W451973 View Post
    Brian - Is there any way you can post a pic ? If it's what I think, there is a small grommet like piece that holds the cable on the pedal.

Joe - Great advise as usual but thats for a t-400 with a switch where Brian mentions a cable and thats for a t-350. I don't mean any dissrespect. Just pointing that out in case someone needs help with that in the future.
    I don't have the car right now its at the shop getting finished up on some engine updates. Your right its a small grommet that holds the cable on, any one had trouble with this before? Thx

It sounds to me like the cable isn't moving smoothly if it is unhooking itself. It's probably damaged on the other end.
    Alan
    76 Cutlass Supreme Braugham (3)
    73 Cutlass Supreme
    66 Olds Ninety Eight LS (expired)
    78 Cadillac Seville (350 Olds engine)
    Several Caddys and a 76 Camaro and
    70 Impala Convertible