Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Info on 74 H/O

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    Very sweet!! Now, you do realize, you need to change the license plate now!!! Do you know if Olds 74 is taken?
    Those Plates expired in 95 and when I went back in 2010 someone else had snagged the rights thats why on my Cutlass Supreme the plate reads
    1OLDS73. 74OLDS,OLDS74 are both taken I was going to go with 1OLDS74
    but I had to work the letter "H" into it so look for 74HOLDS should have soon
    I'll snap some photos when they get mounted. Thanks for looking out. Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass Supreme View Post
    Thank's Gary! Anytime you are in my neck of the woods let me know. Any help I can lend you with pictures and so on let me know, I saw the pictures of yours when you first got it man you know how I feel about White on White
    and its a W-30 Don't you have the history on your car has far as what dealership it first was sold?
    Thanks Jeff. I'll most likely be asking you for detail pics of top and interior when the time comes. I really like my W30 and was able to get a ton of history on it. It's a very original car and highly optioned. That's why I'm keeping it the original colors instead of changing it. Check out this thread on what I was able to find out about my car. http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/show...ighlight=lubik I haven't tried contacting the original owner yet. I think Joe B. (HurstOlds1973) found contact info. for him still in NJ.

About the other discussion of "car guys" not really knowing stuff about cars but acting like they do, I'm sure we all have stories! A year or two ago I was at a local car show with my 73 442 and this guy comes up to check out the car. We start talking and he starts quizzing me about if I'm positive the car is a 1973, because he really doesn't think it is. Uhhhhh.... yeah!
    Gary
    73 442
    74 Supreme
    74 H/O W30
    75 Supreme police car replica DONUTRUN 1/4 mi. bracket car
    01 GMC Sierra Z71
    02 Buick Century

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass Supreme View Post
    Those Plates expired in 95 and when I went back in 2010 someone else had snagged the rights thats why on my Cutlass Supreme the plate reads
    1OLDS73. 74OLDS,OLDS74 are both taken I was going to go with 1OLDS74
    but I had to work the letter "H" into it so look for 74HOLDS should have soon
    I'll snap some photos when they get mounted. Thanks for looking out. Jeff
    Here we go.Attachment 5270

Nice new plate!! Very well done!!
    Bert
    1973 442
    1977 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
    1987 442
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269451
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2487101

Nice car.

What do you Think?

I am considering adding the Dual Gate Shifter to my '74 I am torn
    about doing it on one hand I really like the look of it and I am still
    strugling with the fact that I don't have the dual gate in my H/O.
    The other side of it is that this H/O is so clean with still less than
    18k miles on it. What would you guys do? Any thoughts on this
    will be of help, I guess the second part is how difficult would it be to
    gather the parts needed. Leave it original or swap it out? Thanks Jeff

Just my 2 (what did they do with the cent key??) cents..
    Since, as I understand it, the dual gate was an available option in 74-
    After some of the gurus on this board (I'm definitely not one of them) tell you what you need to swap it out, start collecting the parts.
    Once you have them, you can wait until, for example, the trans needs maintenance or overhaul.. at that point, you can decide whether to switch.
    As you may have already noticed by now, only a handful of people in the world (most of whom are on this forum ) will even know that it wasn't original.

I haven't checked, but I'm guessing the service manual can provide most of the info you need to change things around. There are also a couple people here, who can help with part numbers for that 'looking for the Holy Grail' parts search.

Your car would look great next to the Salon.. maybe we'll meet midway someday..

Well Jeff it's your car and decision what mods to do.

I also have a low mileage Y77 and people have commented it's lack of Hurst shifter too. But that's the way it was in '74 and having an unmolested car like yours, it's best to keep it that way so my opinion is don't change it. Jon

Sweet plate!
    If it were mine I'd leave it as is. Survivor cars are sweet enough in my opinion.
    Nothing wrong with doing it the way you want either, I'm sure you would do it the right way or not at all. No hack jobs, please!
    Just make sure whatever you do you are doing it for your own sake and not to try to please people, all that gets you is tired.
    You've got an awesome Olds, thanks for sharing it with us.
    1966 Toronado 1977 Cutlass Supreme
    In my neighborhood, some men were Catholics, others Protestant. My Father was an Oldsmobile man.

Jeff - I can understand your dilemma. I'd have the same one. Hurst/Olds and a dual gate go together like peanut butter and jelly. As far as I've been able to determine, none of the 350ci V8 equipped H/Os in 74 had dual gates from the factory. Probably a few had them installed at dealerships although I've never seen one. All that being said, as cool as it would be to have a dual gate in your car, since it's such an authentic low mile survivor, I would leave it as-is. Your car has to be one of the lowest mileage H/Os left. It's a beauty and an original piece of Oldsmobile history.

Did your white 73 Supreme find a new home?

Hope all is well!
    Gary
    73 442
    74 Supreme
    74 H/O W30
    75 Supreme police car replica DONUTRUN 1/4 mi. bracket car
    01 GMC Sierra Z71
    02 Buick Century