Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct AC/Delco Battery

Correct AC/Delco Battery

Does anyone now the correct AC/Delco battery and part/model number for our cars? Specifically the '73 and '77 years.

Also, any info (part/model number and photos) on/from a factory installed GM battery would be helpful as well.

The recent discussions about batteries led me to an AC/Delco dealer and he referenced a manual suggesting a couple different batteries....just want to make sure I'm buying the correct battery.
    Kelvin

'73 Cutlass S - Parts Roller (Registry & Details)
    '77 442 - Being restored (Registry & Details)
    '79 Supreme - Daily Driver|Survivor

They all came with delco batteries though the exact ones varied. R89 & R91 started in 73. Refer to each model year service manual which lists the batteries in the specs.

It should be a 78. Go to the AC Delco website. Do a parts search. You can put in your year and engine size. You will get 5 or 6 different 78 batteries you can choose from. It has pictures too. I used to buy AC Delcos for my Olds. But this time I went with an Interstate with 1000 cranking amps. The newer batteries dont fit like the older batteries. They fit the tray but the height is shorter. You may need a plastic height adapter on the bottom of the battery to bring the height up for your battery retainer on the 77. The 73 I dont know how it mounts.
    Last edited by 76oldswarrior; 03-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Hey, thanks Jon.

I knew they all came with Delco batteries just didn't know the correct numbers. I was @ work and didn't have my 77 service manual and figured someone here would respond faster than the time it would take me to get home this evening.

The salesman recommended a 78-6YR and that number made me wonder. I think R87 is correct for an original but had no reference/cross reference material with me to confirm my thought. I'll check the '73 numbers too.

Oldswarrior, thanks for the tray tidbit and Delco number. I read the height/size difference in a recent post and started searching for a "riser" of some sort to get the needed height. I'll take a look at the Delco site as you suggested and see how much coinage I'm about to hand over.
    Last edited by Macrover; 03-21-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Kelvin

Hey Kelvin

My friends in the car club have had bad luck with those batteries. The cost is more than a set of vintage tires and they last a little over a year. They do look great though. Have you looked at getting a flat top battery and the right look battery topper?

Oh man, thanks for the heads up.

Another Delco shop recommended the 75-6YR/7YR so I'm checking that one out as well.

No, I haven't looked into a flat top battery nor a battery topper. A factory GM resto is what I'm aiming for, but tell me more if you will, I'm curious.
    Kelvin

Sorry got sidetracked. On my 71 442 I used the topper on the link below and then I found a $50 battery with no top posts and no caps. It just snaps on top gives you that look your wanting and OCA judges let it pass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-R-79...#ht_1765wt_689

I saw one of those years ago but never researched them. That gives me another option.

I'd still like to purchase the correct (replacement) battery though.

Any of your car buddies or anyone here using the delco 75 series? Any thoughts on this series?

I know what the AC/Delco site recommends but real life applications can dictate otherwise, sometimes.
    Last edited by Macrover; 03-26-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    Kelvin

Quote Originally Posted by Macrover View Post
    I saw one of these years ago but never researched them. That gives me another option.

I'd still like to purchase the correct (replacement) battery though.

Any of your car buddies or anyone here using the delco 75 series? Any thoughts on this series?

I know what the AC/Delco site recommends but real life applications can dictate otherwise, sometimes.
    Kelvin-
    This one is for 455 applications , earlier years. But holy crap.
    $831 for it???????????
    I know getting a car 100% stock is such a labor of love, but I'd have a tough time parting with that kind of money for a battery.
    I'll keep looking for ya.
    Pete

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delco-Batter...739748&vxp=mtr

Hey Pete!

Thanks for the info. Wow , talk about "giving it to you" with no vaseline and no brakes.

Yes, trying to keep things correct is truly a labor of love and that type of coinage is not in my love handbook.

I'm headed to another dealer this week to see what they have.
    Kelvin