Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 442 factory gas cap

1977 442 factory gas cap

Does anyone know what the gas cap looks like from the factory for my 77 olds cutlass s or 442? Can anyone post a pic? Or do you know who makes them?

Thanks, John

John,

They're available from Original Parts Group for about $12. The photo in the paper catalog looks the same as my original. Sorry... I don't have the link up right now. See what you can find. If you need more info., I'd be happy to find it.

Pete

Thanks a million. How is the weather in Kenosha?

John,
    It's been the nicest March I can remember - mid to high 70's and sunny every day. All of the spring plants are starting to bloom. Hopefully we won't get a killing frost before May! I've been driving the cutty as often as I can afford the gas. How are things down in Buddy Holly's hometown??

Here's the link to the gas cap - http://www.opgi.com/p/fuel/2133/189/PP00315.html

Pete

Wonder how many original variations were available at the time?

The original cap on my car is a metal twist cap.
    Kelvin

'73 Cutlass S - Parts Roller (Registry & Details)
    '77 442 - Being restored (Registry & Details)
    '79 Supreme - Daily Driver|Survivor

Kelvin,

If you get a chance someday, post a pic. I was working in a service garage back in 76, and I remember a metal gas cap as well. My 77 has a cap that looks exactly like the OPG cap, and my car is an original 25K ride. I suspect that you're right, and that there were a couple of different types.

I think mine is metal as well. I remember the metal ones.
    Kevin - Minnesota
    71 Cutlass Supreme
    77 442 w/403
    84 Dodge Ram D100

http://v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassregistr...=46655016a45ce

http://www.cardomain.com/id/kgl271

Quote Originally Posted by zates View Post
    John,
    It's been the nicest March I can remember - mid to high 70's and sunny every day. All of the spring plants are starting to bloom. Hopefully we won't get a killing frost before May! I've been driving the cutty as often as I can afford the gas. How are things down in Buddy Holly's hometown??

Here's the link to the gas cap - http://www.opgi.com/p/fuel/2133/189/PP00315.html

Pete
    We have had 85 degree weather except for the last few days have been cool and rainy but we started Sonic Thursdays last week and had a great turn out with close to 40 cars. Classic Cars are alive and well in Lubbock! I think the gas cap I am referring to is a metal twist style that reads something about unleaded gas on it.

This is what keeps the thrill alive when it comes to our cars. The little things that pop up and make us scratch our heads whilst trying to figure out "what is" what, "when was" what, and "how was" what.

To add another piece to the puzzle, there was a dealer "accessory" lockable (keyed) metal cap available too...so that makes three cap variations so far.

Now I wonder if the difference, besides plastic or metal casings, is non-vented vs vented?

Yes, is has "Unleaded Gasoline Only" stamped on it as well as a part number (maybe) and three letters (NDH) on it, IIRC. I'll have to look at mine again.

I'll try to get some photos of mine when the rain subsides.
    Last edited by Macrover; 03-22-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Kelvin

'73 Cutlass S - Parts Roller (Registry & Details)
    '77 442 - Being restored (Registry & Details)
    '79 Supreme - Daily Driver|Survivor

Here is a couple of pictures of the gas cap from my 76 442. It is not original but one I scrounged up in a junkyard, probably 10 years ago. I grabbed it because I thought it was a correct non locking gas cap for my car. I didn't think the 76 cap was marked as to fuel type since the center bumper filler had the small "unleaded gasoline only" sticker on it. It reads NDH and has a part number of 559346.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by texxas8902; 06-03-2013 at 12:10 AM.