Thread: Cold air intake [kinda]

Cold air intake [kinda]

I got sick of looking at the triangle foam Ebrock air cleaner after 10 years on the '77 442 and came up with this home made air intake, what do ya think? The housing that mounts to the carb and tubing are off an early 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.9L I had laying around. The filter I got off Ebay, so for under a 10 buck investment I think it looks ok, something different anyway. I don't have any hood clearance with the intake and carb spacer, I even had to mill some off the Ebrock base so the hood wouldn't hit. Sorry about the crappy pic, now I got to start doing some real work on the '76 project...........lol.
    Todd

'76 H/O {Concept}

Performance wise, I don't think you are getting much colder air than you were before. Those foam filters do a terrible job of filtering though, so that alone is a plus. That intake tubing though should make a good base to run some more tubing farther towards the fender and make it a real CAI though if you wanted.

It looks pretty clean and I like it
    Restoring my grandfather's 1975 Cutlass Salon he ordered new 7 years before I was born....

...and I'm doing it in Japan

Your engine bay is cleaner than my mouth. I just have to say that I love the red inners. If mine werent plastic I wouldve painted them red already.
    http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/image.php?u=376&dateline=1137042363

Interesting. Not sure how well it'll work. Is that a carb adapter under your carb ?

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
    Those foam filters do a terrible job of filtering
    I like the new setup better. I too bought one of those awful foam filters, years ago. Did it change performance is any way? Sound?
    1966 Toronado 1977 Cutlass Supreme
    In my neighborhood, some men were Catholics, others Protestant. My Father was an Oldsmobile man.

Todd-
    Like the idea of moving the intake for cold air away from the motor, got me thinking of an old thread of how I thought I saw someone did a custom under bumper cold air intake for our generation car.
    Least you are still tinkering!

Thanks for the comments/critiques guys. The fender wells are the original plastic, I painted them red back in '05. They still look great, no chipping etc.. even on the under side, I did a lot of prep work on them though. I made a bracket up that holds the filter in place, it works fine and I beat on her pretty hard, I'm running a Holley SD w/a 1" spacer. I didn't notice any difference in sound/performance, but she's always ran great and sounds bad ass. I know it's Hill Billy, but I love my Beater. Talk to ya's later.
    Todd

'76 H/O {Concept}

I love the red wells myself. Do you really need that spacer ? Maybe if you removed it, it would give you enough room to make a ram air air cleaner set up. Just a thought.