Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i find what dealership my car was purchased from

How do i find what dealership my car was purchased from

Ok im sure im annoying by now but i am just trying to figure some things out. The y76 cars are somewhat rare and i want to do a stock resto so i am trying to figure everthing out. I already know they made11,202 of them and i know of 27 dealers that got them but mine is none of them that i can tell so i just need to find out as much about it as possible about it.
    I am guessing either the stickers were removed or they were non existent so i dont really know where it came from, all i know is that it was nj. please help

Find the build sheet

Look behind the right interior 1/4 trim. That's where I found my sheet. It is full of info. Enjoy your hunt.

it was built in lansing ... they were told to destroy all build sheets during that time.

I live fifty miles from Lansing. But my car was built in Ga. the 1977 442 had the build sheet in the trim like I said. I never heard that they were told to destroy them. Look under the carpet, or headliner. What year is your car? In Mich we can pay for a search at Sec.State (DMV) to find out who owned the car, you pay for each level of ownership. Never done it. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by ledouxsrm View Post
    it was built in lansing ... they were told to destroy all build sheets during that time.
    Destroy build sheets, where did you here that from?

It is rare to find a build sheet in a Lansing built car. The Lansing build sheet will only have the zone and dealer code listed and not the dealer name. So then you would have to cross that number if you can find a listing of all the Olds dealers which are lone gone now. Too bad you don't have the original glove box packet because it would list it on the warranty paperwork.

Common place the Lansing cars put them is under the carpet. But of the couple build sheets I've seen (from '75 cars built in Lansing) were in perfect condition like they were put in the glove box or something. Jon

I didn't know that?

Funny my Ga car had the dealer in Florida by name. ( On the build sheet ) going to check again.

My build sheet has the dealer's name, location, zone, and dealer code on it (77 442 Arlington car). Now, I ran across a 77 Y76 Lansing parts car in a yard the other day and it had a Broadcast card under the lower back seat...the first one I've actually seen in person so I carefully extracted the card for the sake of 73-77 history.

There's very little info on it. It doesn't appear to have dealer information on it but I'm not certain on some of the codes on the card, yet. Would the zone and dealer codes be on the card?

I know it's mentioned that Lansing build sheets would only have the zone and dealer codes but since I saw/have the Lansing 77 Y76 broadcast card but I wanted to mention it and the the dealer information (zone/dealer code) on my Tx buildsheet.
    Last edited by Macrover; 03-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    Kelvin

'73 Cutlass S - Parts Roller (Registry & Details)
    '77 442 - Being restored (Registry & Details)
    '79 Supreme - Daily Driver|Survivor

No, the Broadcast sheet does not show dealer info.

The Lansing build sheets are different from the other plants like TX or GA. Lansing ones are less informative and about the same size as the broadcast.

You guys commenting are comparing to '77 build sheet from different plants. The car we are talking about here is a '75 built in Lansing. Look at Jeff Meister's '74 H/O web page and he has a pic of his build sheet which is how they look for cars built in Lansing from '73-'75.

Example of a broadcast can be seen on Eric's '73 H/O web page. The broadcast for my '74 was actually stapled to the carpet underside passenger's sill plate.
    Last edited by jwsolds; 03-06-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Being a Lansing car & a 75, I figure that was the case.

On the same Lansing topic, it's good to know a 77 Lansing car could potentioally have a broadcast card somewhere in the car and they do exists.
    Kelvin

'73 Cutlass S - Parts Roller (Registry & Details)
    '77 442 - Being restored (Registry & Details)
    '79 Supreme - Daily Driver|Survivor

You may find some info here. Even though a lot of the dealer codes are still unknown, the sheer number of Oldsmobile dealers over the years is astonishing.

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...zone-code.html
    1974 Y77 Pace Car replica