Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got a new car!

Quote Originally Posted by brad442 View Post
    Thanks David. I tested a few of the rattle cans samples before I went through the color match process. They were either too dark or too light. If you can, I recommend doing it that way. You will be much happier with the results in the end. Good luck with it, keep us posted on the results.
    I guess the big question is, what part did you use to match the color? The seat bases are much darker than the console, which of course, is 3 different colors. At least by now they became that way. The dash is somewhere in between the others. I'm thinking about making them all match the bases, or at least having the console match.

I've had trouble with the P.S. pump. I got a new assy, and high side hose, as well as some hose for the low side. This car has the pump where the pulley is pressed on, as opposed to the older one that has a nut on the outside. In trying to get the pulley off, I bent the pulley. I went to a junkyard and got another, but it is the old style, and the pulley won't mate to my new pump assy. I put the car together using the one from the yard, and it leaks. So, I'm back to square one.

The car is coming together otherwise. The floors are done, and have gotten a rust converter treatment as well as a good painting. In an effort to prevent rust from returning, I also coated them with truck bed coating, and then covered them with a product similar to dynamat to keep out water and also help keep heat out of the cabin.

As to the t-tops, I never realized how much the frames evolved over the years. These have about half the metal that later ones had. Lastly, while I would never condone or encourage anyone to part out a H/O, part of me secretly hopes to get the trim clips from Dennis off his latest find.

Quote Originally Posted by ebayalias View Post
    I guess the big question is, what part did you use to match the color? The seat bases are much darker than the console, which of course, is 3 different colors. At least by now they became that way. The dash is somewhere in between the others. I'm thinking about making them all match the bases, or at least having the console match.
    I happen to know only because I was at Brad's house the day he was cleaning, washing and dying his parts. He used one of the seat belt covers that mount over the shoulder harness retractors. They don't ever get direct sunlight up on the headliner.
    My original dash, console and kick panels are all different shades of saddle. I haven't recolored my original console but I've tried 2 different shades on the spare console I modified for the dual gate. It was originally red, then a saddle dye that was more like camel and then the SEM saddle which still isn't correct. I'm going to have some mixed up next time.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of using the swivel base cover for the reference is the bottom side has NEVER seen daylight. I really need to get to a paint shop, and investigate this. They may even be able to hook me up with a trim clip supplier.

I wanted to give you an update on the car, pictures will follow this weekend. My intention was to drive this car, yet I have not driven it since August. One project led to another. Kind of my M.O. there. I cleaned and polished the grilles, and swapped in better parking lenses. The entire car has gotten a temporary paint job, and needs to be buffed. It's worlds better than what it had, but will not be show quality. A lot of flaws were blocked out. The original stripes were taped over, so they are still there. The t-top frames are mirror polished. Rust on the hood inner and radiator support have been adressed. A better set of headlight bezels were installed. I will temporarily install the old vinyl top pending its replacement. I repainted the rims, and they are sharp! When I pulled the top frames, I made sure to take the weatherstrips off without damaging them. I put a sealant tape around the inner lip of the frame that contacts the roof, and reset it with extra clamps. I then reglued the weatherstrip to the frames. Everything looks like it is tight, but I'll need to water test in the future. The only thing I need to adress is the strip on the outer edge of the t-top insert it's about an inch shorter than it should be on both sides. That may take some deviousness to rectify. I cleaned off the dash with laquer thinner, and got a lot of crud off it, along with a previous dye job I think. The dash is 100% better, I just hope I don't suffer the shrinking and cracking that was mentioned in another post. I am also trying to re-invent my inner sail panels. My drivers side one was only about 50% left when I got it. I still have tons left to do, but it is much more presentable now.

pics finally. A couple outside shots, andan inside

cvlean dash, rebuilt sail panel, and semi clean door.

interior, repaired under hood, and engine bay

Nice ride! My '76 is going to look very similar [eventually] with the saddle dash, swivels etc.
    Todd

'76 H/O {Concept}

engine, header panel ( I have since installed an NOS Olds emblem and polished the bumper), and repaired support.

dusty engine, cowl and door.