Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got a new car!

Just a quick update on the 3 weeks of work that I've done to it. First, I pulled the carpet and vacuumed everything. The car was filthy! I used sheet metal to temporarily fill the floor rust, swapped in a restored set of swivel bases, and am installing a metal bucket into the passenger swivel as the base rusted out. I detailed the console and shifter plate, and replaced and adjusted the glove box door to fit flush. I restored the tail lights, replaced the rear valence with an excellent pit free spare I had, and installed a very nice rear bumper. I temporarily painted the vinyl top area black pending a top install, and attached the original emblems. I also reset the back window into place. As you saw in the engine color link, I pulled the front parts off the engine, and painted the block as well as all the brackets. I'm having a problem getting the pulley off the P.S. pump, but hope to do that this week. I should have the car driveable by Sat. night. I also painted the pass seat back on the swivel, as well as the upper and lower door panels. They were nice as is, but I wanted the color uniform. Also I'm hoping the paint layer will keep my fingernails from gouging out any of the plastic. Lastly, I detailed the emblems on the door panel, and polished the t-top trim, as well as the stainless on the door panels. Most of the scratches have been removed. I love stainless!

The car has a dual exhaust that is just a few years old that I may have to redo. They ran the drivers side under the single hump crossmember, and bent it so that it hits the lip of the gas tank. The car is 115K, and smoke free. I'm contemplating going to headers and an Edelbrock manifold.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but you get the idea.

more pictures

I don't know why I didn't notice this thread until now. Nice ride! I'm watching for updates since I could probably learn a thing or two for mine. About making the glove box flush, I though mine wasn't because the dash was curling. Maybe I can use your technique to fix it? Was yours tight against the dash already? It seems like mine hits the corners of the dash and that's why it won't close all the way. Was that how yours was?
    Restoring my grandfather's 1975 Cutlass Salon he ordered new 7 years before I was born....

...and I'm doing it in Japan

saddle brown

I like the saddle brown interior!

Quote Originally Posted by 75wannabe View Post
    I like the saddle brown interior!
    Me too and it would really look great once it has the correct saddle carpet and floor mats.

Amazing what some attention to a few details can do.

Car is shaping up nicely.

Very nice! Love the interior too!
    Brad Bishop
    末末末末末末末
    1977 442 - 403 engine
    Editor, Journey With Olds Magazine
    www.76-77olds442.com

I picked up a can of plastic paint for the saddle colored parts as an attempt to see if it would match. It is actually too light when I tested it on the swivel base cover. My base had darkened from sunlight around the edges, and I was hoping to make it uniform. I ended up just fogging it over the entire piece, and then giving the faded areas a little more paint to blend the colors together. I think it came out awesome. Looking at the pic I posted, the paint may be much closer to correct for the console. I did not realize the color difference between the 2.

Saddle Dye

From what I've tried, no one makes the correct color premixed saddle dye. I've tested them all. I think you have to do what Brad442 did, have it custom mixed using SEM products. His came out the perfect color, the only good match I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by texxas8902 View Post
    From what I've tried, no one makes the correct color premixed saddle dye. I've tested them all. I think you have to do what Brad442 did, have it custom mixed using SEM products. His came out the perfect color, the only good match I've seen.
    Thanks David. I tested a few of the rattle cans samples before I went through the color match process. They were either too dark or too light. If you can, I recommend doing it that way. You will be much happier with the results in the end. Good luck with it, keep us posted on the results.
    Brad Bishop
    末末末末末末末
    1977 442 - 403 engine
    Editor, Journey With Olds Magazine
    www.76-77olds442.com