Thread: 1977 Olds 442

Talking 1977 Olds 442

Hello everyone!
    My name is Erik and I am located in Utah. I purchased and have been working on restoring my 1977 Oldsmobile 442 with its original 403 motor. It is all matching numbers and I also have a copy of the original dealer invoice thanks to the GM archives. It's in rough shape, needs a lot of work. Interior is shreded, nose is cracked, a bent in front right fender, need to repair/replace a wheel, some rust in in the wheel well, but it is fun as hell to drive. Growing up I would hear stories about my dad and his 69 442 he had to sell, so when I was searching for a fun car and this popped up at a good price I jumped on it. Its white with brown stripes and I'll attempt to add in some pictures (its been a long time since I've been on a forum like this). I've been stalking the site for over a year now and glad to be a part of it.

Welcome to the site. Remember, we love to see pictures...

Working on the pictures. Not sure if its cause im doing it wrong or if I just don't have enough posts to do it yet.

Welcome. Lot of people here to assist with any questions. I have a 403 cu.in in my 77 CS as well. We ALWAYS need pictures!

Mike

Schaweeet! ! Welcome to the madness. ...

Well, the layout of the post and picture size came out wonky, but there's 2 pictures. If you guys wanna see any other parts of it let me know, I have no problem posting more

Very cool car. I like the gold lower with the white upper. Gives it the Hurst Olds vibe. I'm sure you know if you have been lurking, that if that car came with a 403 when new it is one of only 350 442s built in 1977 in that configuration. Also when you start messing with the front header and the damaged area, take EXTRA care with those grilles. Even if they are cracked, it appears they are all there with no missing pieces and the 77 442 only grilles are almost impossible to find in any condition. The best option will probably be to repair the set on the car. Looks like a well optioned car. Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the heads up about the grilles. I didnt know they were that hard to find. I think i have all the pieces for them but there are some broken off. I'll have to look into how to properly repair them. It is a 77 with original 403 and 442 package. I got curious and ordered a copy of the invoice from the GM Archives to make sure. If it was the original engine then I was going to just restore it, if it wasn't then I had other plans for it. Here's a copy of the invoice they sent me, its pretty cool.

I like that color combo!
    1976 Cutlass S 442 Firethorn/White
    1976 Cutlass Y76 'Edge' Silver
    1977 Cutlass S 442 Silver/Black

http://73-77oldsmobile.freeforums.net/

------------------------------------------------------------------
    "God put me on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die." - Calvin and Hobbes cartoon

Nice ride! Welcome to the site!
    Bert
    1973 442
    1977 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
    1987 442
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269451
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2487101