Thread: 1974 Cutlass Supreme SIDE moulding clips

1974 Cutlass Supreme SIDE moulding clips

Just an FYI for posterity;
    I'm 90% sure Auveco 11288 is the correct clip for the S.S. side trim with black vinyl insert along the length of the car at lock cyl. level. Probably same for '73 and '75. These are the GRAY plastic clips with fairly wide scuff wings along the body contact area. For some reason I had to re-learn this info because I didn't remember where the used grey clips I had came from.
    I'll chime back in when I'm 100% sure.
    I'm 100% sure if I CAN confirm this, it will be almost the only place in the world anyone without some kind of expensive magic parts archive will be able to find this out because Auveco does not identify their parts with applications nor does the 1974 Assembly manual cover this (as far as I know).

Confirmed; the gray Auveco 11288 works for the S.S. side trim.

Thanks!!

More on - Trim Clips that Fit 197(4) Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Thanks!!
    Ref. '74 cutlass Supreme 2dr brougham Vinyl top

I just double checked it because I was worried I could have mixed up the numbers from my VAST Auveco collection, and yes, 11288 for the S.S. side trim with black Vinyl insert.
    You can drive yourself NUTS thinkin' one of the other white ones will work, let alone start wreckin' trim.

But wait, there's more!!!
    Correct, and working clip for the brougham and I assume all Vinyl top surround moulding is the white Nylon 10617. (which is pretty TYP. for most GMs of the era (68 - 77))
    Though there may be a special one for use on the brougham moulding(s) that stretch across the top of the car and meet at the middle. It may be a longer white Nylon clip I saw in the catalog that has more bite. Not sure if this is only for the two studs closest to and on either side of the slip joint in the middle or if they are intended to be used on all the studs on the 'horizontal' part of the roof, or if they are just for another application entirely. I used 10617 clips for ALL the brougham moulding, even across the roof and the trim stayed fast at 80MPH.

Also for side trim; The combination Nylon and metal stud that fastens the rear of the rear quarter trim can be substituted with Auveco 12962.

I would post something about the window trim clips but I suspect the ones I got from Inline Tube were not exactly correct for 73 - 77s. They were close but originals had deeper slightly wider catch to capture the trim better. This may not be Inline tubes fault, I may have assumed they would work on my application.
    Shoot it, tag it, bag it, keep it dry, or you WILL forget where it goes.

Clarification; The combination Nylon and metal stud that fastens the rear of the rear quarter trim [Stainless Steel with black Vinyl insert BODY SIDE moulding] can be substituted with Auveco 12962.

The clips seem to be available but where can the vinyl insert be found? The black molding that fits inside of the metal trim is what I am referring to.

Side Moulding

Quote Originally Posted by mdd71 View Post
    The clips seem to be available but where can the vinyl insert be found? The black molding that fits inside of the metal trim is what I am referring to.
    Ho jeece...... I don't know for sure but my guess is that stuff is un-obtanium.

I want to say that for about ten ...maybe fifteen years after that style was used, so .... maybe from about 77 to 1990 they did sell, aftermarket, a stick on type of plastic moulding that was virtually identical to what they used on the 76 and 77s. To a purest, this won't do, and I'm not sure it's even available anymore, even through restoration catalogs, but if some could be found it's a reasonable alternative especially for a Cutlass that is driver or driver + quality. It can even be used right over the studs by drilling relief in the backside of the trim.

For a restoration I do not think you will find the OEM trim new, either assembled or in the two pieces it's comprised of. Miracles do happen though, and those pieces are so robust I'm sure decent used ones can be found.

I do remember running across a company that will custom make extrusions for you out of plastic or rubber etc. I recall it was not as expensive as you'd think. If I get some time and remember all this I'll try to find it again. Otherwise you'd just have to google.

I looked at the one piece of trim I was struggling with when I had it off and I just assumed, because the two pieces seemed so well connected, that the vinyl insert was locked into the S.S. trim with a keyway. Looking closer I couldn't see how that was possible, so I started thinking it was glued in. I still think it would have to be locked in with a keyway and maybe I just missed it.

After I restored the car 5 years ago I searched for months to find a molding strip that would fit. It' s a challenge, hopefully I will fall over a used original some place. Left front fender.

Quarter panel side molding

Quote Originally Posted by mdd71 View Post
    Here's a very hard to find 73 quarter panel molding, NOS on eBay. I know you wanted just the vinyl but GM sold it attached to the metal trim.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-1973...pZ55rR&vxp=mtr