Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiped out cam after 1 year

Wiped out cam after 1 year

My cam is wiped out after only one year. The guy that built my 350 said it was because I donít drive enough consistent miles. It sits to long between runs and not long enough to completely harden the cam. He wants to run a roller cam this time. Not sure if I should at a price tag if $2400. He will do a flat tappet for $1000. Whatís the thoughts on roller cams

I hv no comment on type of cam to recommend but wondering if you been using the oil for our cars that contain the zinc additive that our cars need?
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jwsolds View Post
    I hv no comment on type of cam to recommend but wondering if you been using the oil for our cars that contain the zinc additive that our cars need?
    Yes I am using the 10-30vr1

1000-2400 to put a cam in an engine?? That's absurd!!

If it wiped the lobes there will be metal from the cam and the lifters through out the engine. Quite possibly a lower end rebuild plus cam and lifters and at least a disassembly and inspection and then back together after cleaning.

I don't know what you mean by hardening the cam while driving! The cams come are manufactured to certain tensile strengths and specs. The don't work harden
    while driving after installed.
    If you have a mild build I would go with a flat tappet cam & lifters, if you know you just wiped a cam lobe, just re&re the cam/lifters new oil/ filter gasket set and your good to go. Check the T/C you may want to replace it and dial the cam in with a cam card.
    It would be a weekend do it yourself job.
    Eric & Christine

http://73-77oldsmobile.freeforums.net/

1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme
    2009 Pontiac G8 Black
    2009 Pontiac G8 liquid red
    2006 Pontiac GP Silver

If the cam wasn't broken in properly with break in oil, then that is most likely the issue. You need to add ZDDP (Zinc dithiophosphate) to your oil during break in, and it is recommended to use it at all oil changes when running a flat tappet camshaft.
    The break in procedure is to run the engine above 2000 rpm for 20 minutes and vary the rpm over that time. Then drain the oil and change the filter. Drive the car for 500 mile and do another oil change and then change the oil on the regular schedule.
    Letting the engine sit for any length of time will NOT hut the cam unless water somehow got into the engine, and even then it is VERY unlikely to effect the cam.

In actuality you are breaking in the lifters. It's called breaking in the cam but your actually creating a wear area on the lifters face to the cam loves. If you don't break it in properly then you will wipe a lobe quite quickly....

Lets not get into a technical race here.....but you are getting a wear pattern established on both, not one or the other. I win.

In actuality you are breaking in the lifters. It's called breaking in the cam but your actually creating a wear area on the lifters face to the cam loves. If you don't break it in properly then you will wipe a lobe quite quickly....