Thread: Let me introduce myself

Let me introduce myself

My name is Randy and I've had a love/hate relationship with Oldsmobile for way too many years. I have owned 7 A body Oldsmobiles over the course of my life.
    1975 Cutlass S - 260
    1976 Cutlass Salon - 350
    1975 Cutlass 4 door (bought as a donor 350 for the 76 that I had for a week)
    1980 Cutlass Supreme - 260/350/455/350 (had a TON of fun with this car)
    1970 Cutlass S post - 350/455
    1970 442 - 455 (obviously)
    1972 Cutlass Supreme - 350

Right now I am in a quandary....I am DROOLING over a 76 Salon, but I am unsure as to the value of these cars and the price seems a bit high even given the mileage. I can't put my eyes on it due to it being about 2400 miles away, but I do have a good friend about an hour away that would be willing to go over it for me.
    It's not 100% original as in it has an aftermarket stereo in it, but it doesn't look hacked up. The A/C is out, so If I wanted that I would have to dump some cash into it and then there is the 41 year old rubber. All of the mounts, bushings, fuel lines and brake lines. I think that would all need to be changed. The carb will most likely need to be gone through as well as the fuel pump, just to be safe.
    With that in mind the body looks perfect in the pics, and if it is that clean what would the value of a moderately optioned Salon be? 350 car with cruise and A/C. Didn't see much else. No title, gauges or rear defrost.

Thanks for any input.

Randy

3 to _4 grand maybe..no title is very problematic! Welcome to the madness! Steven
    Last edited by riptide motorsport; 09-23-2017 at 09:09 PM.

That was a bad auto-correct and I can't fix it. No tach, not title.

Welcome Randy. Is this the car? https://nashville.craigslist.org/snw...261193463.html
    It looks nice. If this is the car, I'd check the date code on the tires, I bet they are pretty old and the thing that bothers me about that car is the front lower door panels have that weird triangular carpet piece. I'd think it is hiding some hacked in speaker holes. I've never seen any others carpeted this way. Usually the carpet fits in a recess that runs the length of the lower door panel.
    I do see dual sport mirrors and a full vinyl top. Also I'm not sure if a carpeted trunk is part of the Salon package or if the trunk carpet has been added, possibly when the door panels were partially carpeted? I wish it had some under carriage shots and under hood pics. I don't know where you are located and if a title is needed on a car of that age and I would check if a title is needed to license it where the current owner has it. If a title is required where it lives now I'd try to get the current owner to do the leg work and get a title or copy of the title at that asking price. As it sits with NO title it's not worth over $5K in my book. It is a very nice car. With a title it would be a deal to get it anything under $10K. There are title services and I have used them in the distant past but I hear bad things these days about trying them and it's a crap shoot if you actually get helped and get a title. I understand the Feds cracked down on the title companies about 5 years ago.

That is the car, but he upped the price it seems. It has been on CL for almost a month at 8,900. I can't believe he has decided to up the price like that. He states in both listings that he has a clean title.
    In my original post the "no title" was an auto correct that I missed. I meant no tach.

Welcome Randy,
    At $12,500 I would be expecting the A/C to be in working order and completely rust free with that kind of mileage. I would also expect the car to be completely tuned and all fluids flushed. That's just my opinion.
    You have owned many Oldsmobiles of this vintage in the past so you know what to expect with feel and drive, you would get a lifetime of pleasurable moments and cruises with that car. If I was looking I would snap it up if the owner has it turn key ready to drive anywhere.
    Let us know how your search is going and if you pulled the trigger on that beauty.

Eric
    Eric & Christine

http://73-77oldsmobile.freeforums.net/

1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme
    2009 Pontiac G8 Black
    2009 Pontiac G8 liquid red
    2006 Pontiac GP Silver

Hey Randy. I started writing this the other day but deleted it then tonight decided to write it anyway....

Not sure how much any of our cars are worth but I am planning on selling mine in the spring at the Myrtle Beach Run to the Sun car show (or at least try to sell it). I plan on asking 12.5K for it. It is a '76 Salon with approx. 54k miles on it and has p/w, c/c, a/c, am/fm. It is not perfect but I would consider it nice and I do drive it on a regular basis. I've seen people ask $3k up to $25K for our cars in various conditions. Note, I said asking....doesn't mean it is worth that or they got that price for it.

Just looked up NADA value and for a '76 Salon with a 350 and A/C it is showing:

Low Retail Avg Retail High Retail

$4,655 $11,437 $20,125

Based on NADA, I may need to raise my asking price I have another '76 Salon that is triple white and needs work/restoring (paint, tires, top, has a little rust, runs but probably needs rebuilding, needs some interior work, and rear bumper) that I would sell for $6k. So, would you rather buy one for 3-6k and spend ?? on it before driving it or buy one you can get in and go. I guess the question remains, what are they worth and will you be able to find one you like at your price? (For the record, not really looking at selling either one right now.) I guess a car is worth what it sells for, no more/no less. If you find one you like for your price, buy it. If you don't like it or the price is too high, keep looking until you find one you like/willing to buy. I know all of this probably doesn't help but my point being regardless of what anyone else thinks about a car being worth ??, you are ultimatly the one that has to live with it. I always go with my gut.

I guess the prices are finally starting to climb on these cars, albeit more that I would have expected. I just am a bit shocked at the asking price jumping so much when it was for sale for over three weeks at the $8,900 price tag.
    Don't get me wrong, it looks to be in awesome condition, but there are no under car shots and nothing under the hood either.
    With the A/C not in working order I think that really does drop the value by quite a bit because to get it working again will cost a minimum of $1,000.
    I dunno....It's hard. I lost a 70 442 to the first rain about 5 years ago, and my parking situation isn't any better than it was when I had that car. Maybe I'm just pipe dreaming at this point, but I sure would love to have that car...lol.
    Thanks for the input guys.