Thread: Need advice on building a 350

Need advice on building a 350

I have a 1973 cutlass with a 350 4bl and dual exhaust. This is a first time building an Oldsmobile so I need some advice. The motor has 73,000 and runs perfect. I would like to just put a carb, intake manifold, headers and a cam in it if it all possible. I don't want to get crazy with it...just want some more ooomf. I won't begin this project till next spring so I'm trying to gather as much info and advice as possible. I've read about swapping the heads with older ones...don't know if I wanna go that route...keeping it low budget but if I'm convinced I might just do it. Any and all help is appreciated.

If It were me I would leave the engine as it is for now and enjoy it up to 100k or until the timing chain ( CAM GEAR) needs replacement.
    I would stuff a Yukon Posi with 3:42 gears in the rear along with a trans-go shift kit. That will give you the ooomf your looking for without breaking the bank while deciding on what way to go as to heads and pistons.
    A performer intake won't net you any seat of the pants power, the weight difference will be the best gain as to an intake. Again wait until you decide on heads, pistons, cam etc, then you can decide on either the performer or performer RPM for your engine needs.
    Headers could also wait, either long tube or short tube would be the decision maker, short tube go in without any issues, long tube will go with some finessing with new motor mounts.
    I hope this helps a little
    Cheers
    Eric
    Eric & Christine

http://73-77oldsmobile.freeforums.net/

1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme
    2009 Pontiac G8 Black
    2009 Pontiac G8 liquid red
    2006 Pontiac GP Silver

I wouldn't change the carb, an original Q jet will tune and run great with a cam, intake and headers. That's what I did on mine. Replace the timing set when swapping the cam and get an HEI distributor. I'd check the cylinder compression and make sure you have a good starting point with that engine but 73K on a well maintained and running 350 is not bad. I added a shift kit but still have my original gear set of 2.41. Not so great off the line but sounds incredible at 75 mph when you punch it and the secondaries open as it downshifts and takes off.
    Welcome to the site.

If you don't want to mess with your Q-jet, the Quick Fuel carbs are darn good as well.
    Eric & Christine

2009 Pontiac G8 Black
    2006 Pontiac GP Silver

I agree with all the suggestions, the hei was (is) the pinnacle of ignition sytem technology IMO, just make sure and run a full 12v to it.
    Todd

'76 H/O {Concept}

Hmmm. Def food for thought. I would like to get the distributor put in ASAP which brings me to this question… What distributor do I put in it ? Should I go to a junkyard and pull one out of the car… If so what car ? How do I go about making the HEI work on a 73–350?

I agree get a HEI Distributor, Black MSD Plug Wires, keep the stock Q-jet, but go with an old Holley Strip Dominator. And some Ceramic Coated Headers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MSRA #9615
    NAOC #4962
    OCA #023589
    1954 98 Holiday Deluxe HT
    1973 GMC Sierra 3/4-Ton Tow Truck
    1972 442
    1973 442
    1977 442's (2)
    1983 Hurst/Olds T-Tops #1536
    1985 442
    1986 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
    1989 Cutlass Supreme International

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Hmmm. Def food for thought. I would like to get the distributor put in ASAP which brings me to this question… What distributor do I put in it ? Should I go to a junkyard and pull one out of the car… If so what car ? How do I go about making the HEI work on a 73–350?

I have the stock distributor out of my car since Im using a DUI init, it have been curved for a mild 350 with shift kit, new MSD TRed -Brass cap/rotor, Accel Coil and control module & 8MM Taylor Spiro Pro wires. If you could use it PM me and make an offer.

Eric
    Last edited by 76oldsman; 10-22-2017 at 02:21 AM.
    Eric & Christine

2009 Pontiac G8 Black
    2006 Pontiac GP Silver