Thread: What did you do, Ray?

What did you do, Ray?

Sorry, had to quote Ghostbusters there...

So, I shouldn't have, but I did anyway. The 73 needed a little sister, so I got one. Picked up a 1987 442. It's in amazing condition, sporting 94K on the clock.

Fun car, and now I get to learn about G bodies! Not sure how the pics will come out with the new forum format, but here goes nothing!!

20170430_154227-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bert
    1973 442
    1977 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
    1987 442
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269451
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2487101

Nice but be very careful with that car. My good friend with the 70 GTO that I have mentioned on this site before, bought a nice gun metal grey 87 442 with the factory sun roof and about 80K miles from the original owner last year. It was a great car and I loved to ride in it while he had it. Within 4 months it was stolen and hasn't been found yet and probably never will be. The G bodies are very easy to steal. He took the insurance money and just bought a Studebaker Avanti. Nice car but it's not an Oldsmobile.
    Last edited by texxas8902; 05-01-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Really...

Damn, that is very unfortunate. Thanks for the heads up!

I would think my other two cars would be easier to steal, but I would imagine all of them would be when it comes to someone that knows what they want and knows what they are doing.

I keep them garaged up when I am not driving them, and try to be as careful as I can.
    Bert
    1973 442
    1977 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
    1987 442
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269451
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2487101

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    Really...

Damn, that is very unfortunate. Thanks for the heads up!

I would think my other two cars would be easier to steal, but I would imagine all of them would be when it comes to someone that knows what they want and knows what they are doing.

I keep them garaged up when I am not driving them, and try to be as careful as I can.
    Bert,

Invest in one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GM-Cadil...-/381043451799

It covers the lock cylinder and a good portion of the steering column so a would-be thief can't break the column and steal the car. A steering column guard in combination with an ignition kill switch will go a long way in keeping your car around.

I know the mid 80s Monte Carlo SS was super popular with thieves, so it makes sense the Olds 442 and the Hurst/Olds would be too.
    Gary
    73 442
    74 Supreme
    74 H/O W30
    75 Supreme police car replica DONUTRUN 1/4 mi. bracket car
    01 GMC Sierra Z71
    02 Buick Century

Duuuude! Time for a rant ....
    I love G bodies so so much.
    Had my fair share of them (Olds, Pontiac and Buick). The v8 in my '86 Supreme with the 307 4bbl was so slow, but shift kit and some other things helped. It was not until my Buick Regal Turbo '85 that sealed my love for these cars and my '86 GP was bullet proof.
    Dropped (2) 350 V8's in a '81 Cutlass and a '82, friends cars, and Bert, they flew like the wind.
    Nothing could catch 'em back in the early 90's.

Love the color choice on that 442 you picked up. Just a awesome looking car. '87 & '88 we're the flush headlamps and really made them look fresh after the quads running from 81-86.

What's the backstory on the '87 you picked up?

Congrats on adding to the herd of Olds.

As for security, column lock, the club or even better.. Live GPS is cheap now.
    Some are RFID chip or small battery connectable/rechargeable units that can be wired so stealthily making it hardto locate in the car.
    SPOT makes a good one. Marine, RV, ATV Cars, Tractors, etc. lots of people use this one . $50 plus $9 a month to track.
    Hide it good, keep it dry. Battery lasts 3 months on average with out being hardwired.
    Last edited by Firethorne77; 05-02-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Security info

You definitely want the column lock cover. The '87 442 has so many exclusive and desirable parts on it, it's scary. I bought a project '87 for like $600 and figured there was at least $3000 in parts if I needed to part it out. As for GPS, I always thought the idea of a pay as you go phone hidden in the car would be a cheap alternative. Hide it in the car when you walk away, and have it pinged should it be stolen. G body Cutlasses were the most stolen in their days. It's sad that stuff like this needs to be considered in the first place. As to the club, it will only keep the honest people from stealing a car. a bolt cutter will go through the steering wheel like butter.

She's a beauty - congrats!

I am in complete agreement when it comes to the column cover-get one ASAP. When I started in the service business in the late 80s at a Pontiac dealership we would see at least one G-body get hauled in with a punched column every week, sometimes two or more. Our trim tech made a fortune repairing those columns. I also saw a lot of trucks, Suburbans, F-bodys, etc. come in with the same thing too-we had a BIG business with theft jobs back then.
    73 Cutlass S

Quote Originally Posted by Firethorne77 View Post
    Duuuude! Time for a rant ....
    I love G bodies so so much.
    Had my fair share of them (Olds, Pontiac and Buick). The v8 in my '86 Supreme with the 307 4bbl was so slow, but shift kit and some other things helped. It was not until my Buick Regal Turbo '85 that sealed my love for these cars and my '86 GP was bullet proof.
    Dropped (2) 350 V8's in a '81 Cutlass and a '82, friends cars, and Bert, they flew like the wind.
    Nothing could catch 'em back in the early 90's.

Love the color choice on that 442 you picked up. Just a awesome looking car. '87 & '88 we're the flush headlamps and really made them look fresh after the quads running from 81-86.

What's the backstory on the '87 you picked up?

Congrats on adding to the herd of Olds.

As for security, column lock, the club or even better.. Live GPS is cheap now.
    Some are RFID chip or small battery connectable/rechargeable units that can be wired so stealthily making it hardto locate in the car.
    SPOT makes a good one. Marine, RV, ATV Cars, Tractors, etc. lots of people use this one . $50 plus $9 a month to track.
    Hide it good, keep it dry. Battery lasts 3 months on average with out being hardwired.
    I am gonna look into the Spot one you speak of.. I didnt know there was anything on the market that lasted more than a week or so without being hardwired... Worth every penny...