Thread: Manifolds & Ceramic Coating

Manifolds & Ceramic Coating

Just trying to get facts about ceramic coating some Thornton reproduction manifolds before i put them on my 75 350 next winter.
    I will be doing some engine work, # 5 heads etc.

Here is what I have read.
    You can coat the outside and inside with ceramic.
    Coating the the outside cosmetically keeps them looking good. Also helps with heat keeping them more cool than without.
    Coating the inside can increase hp and by helping the exhaust flow better and also helps to control heat.

Other than looks not rusting, how much hp can you gain by doing the inside of manifolds and how much temperature difference would there be by not doing ceramic coating at all?

Thanks
    Jeff

75 Cutlass Supreme
    77 Cutlass Parts Car

http://v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassregistr...=4d3a4436c2fc9

YOU will never notice the minuscule HP difference!

As far as under-hood temperature difference YES you will notice that change for the better.
    Last edited by Vintageracer; 03-30-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    Mike

"Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

musclecardeals.com

Thanks Mike,
    Jeff

75 Cutlass Supreme
    77 Cutlass Parts Car

http://v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassregistr...=4d3a4436c2fc9

Jeff,

I don't think anyone has done dyno pulls between inner coatings to non inner coating, So putting a HP gain on them would be just a guess.
    Its hard to get real dyno number for different brands of headers these days.
    I think you will find a difference with under hood temps but again, I've never heard of anyone putting a head gun on temps as of yet.
    I have coated headman short headers, ceramic coated inside and out, I find my under hood temps are a bit cooler now than with the factory manifolds.
    You could try googling to get more info on this, I never did a search. You may find something on the thorntons..

I hope this helps
    Eric
    Last edited by 76oldsman; 03-30-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    Eric & Christine

http://73-77oldsmobile.freeforums.net/

1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme
    2009 Pontiac G8 Black
    2009 Pontiac G8 liquid red
    2006 Pontiac GP Silver

I bought a set of Olds headers in the late 70's, and never got around to using them as they were for a big block. I got them at a H.P. Sales grand opening for $1. Jump to 1984, and I finally got a car to use them in, my '74 H/O. Skip a few more years... O.K., a decade, and I had the motor rebuilt, and was going to add the now vintage headers at that time. Beforehand, I saw an ad for JetHot Coatings and shipped them off for the inner/outer treatment. After every conceivable delay in getting on the road, (3 continuous engine rebuilds, spanning 3 years) the car was finally back on the road. I got to drive her to the 2007/8/9 H/Oca nationals. On the last one, the heel of my sneaker actually melted into my floor mat carpeting. I blame the coatings! Today, they still look very good, stained by oil and dented on the bottom of the collector, but no rust.